Talk about your Favorite Movie IELTS Cue Card
One of the strategies I use with my students who are preparing for the IELTS exam is to create vocabulary lists related to the topics that they will surely encounter on the IELTS speaking exam. One of the topics that could potentially come up is about films and movies. Here is a great list of words that will help you crack the IELTS speaking exam. You might get a cue card that asks the following:
Take Notes to Prepare your Answer
How could you better prepare for this question? I would suggest taking the following steps to take notes and improve your response:
- Step 1: Brainstorm your top 3 movie choices and quickly choose one that you could talk the most about.
- Step 2: Write down the genre of the movie (science fiction, romantic comedy, drama…etc)
- Step 3: Write down three key events from the plot and a few charming or memorable characteristics of the main characters.
- Step 4: Use some of the adjectives on the above list to talk about why you love the movie so much
- Step 5: Train your pronunciation and fluency with a language partner or with a teacher.
You could even consider creating a word web or using a table with columns to organize your keywords and notes that correspond to each of the questions on the cue card.
“The best movie that I have ever seen is “The Shape of Water,” which won an Oscar in 2018. The movie falls into the “romance” and “fantasy” genres and is about a mute cleaning lady who works in a high security government office. She ends up falling in love with an amphibian creature that is held captive for research study in the government building. She thinks of a plan to rescue the creature and help set him free. The main character is played by Sally Hawkins and she is gentle, caring, and determined. The movie left a lasting impression on me because it showed the nature of human beings and their desire to research the mysteries of the planet. However, these mysterious creatures and animals have feelings and we have to treat other beings with respect. The loving bond the cleaning lady and the creature develop is intense and beautiful and kept me on the edge of my seat. I love movies with suspense and I also enjoy movies that are unpredictable. In conclusion, the Shape of Water held all the qualities that I look for in a good movie and more: mystery, fantasy, and love.”
Vocabulary about Movies and Films
The resource I have designed is a wonderful way for you to study advanced vocabulary for the IELTS test on your own. These digital task cards are ideal for B2 (upper intermediate) and C1 (advanced) adult ESL language learners. These digital task cards help you learn common expression, collocations, and important vocabulary words for talking about movies. You can also listen to the audio recording of the word to practice pronunciation and select the correct definition.
IELTS Speaking Part 3 Questions about Films
- Have movies become increasingly popular or decreasingly popular in recent years?
- Do you think movies will be replaced by television series?
- What are the advantages and disadvantages of basing movies on books?
- How important is it for a movie director to be creative and inventive when making a movie?
- Should movies be censored or should be we free to choose what we watch?
- What is your opinion about downloading movies illegally from the internet. Should there be a fine for this?
- What makes movies so appealing to watch?
- Do you think people will stop going to the cinema in the future?
- How has technology like CGI (computer generated imagery) improved movies? What are the disadvantages of too much technology in movies?
- How have films changed since you were a child?
Conversation Questions about Movies
Ways to Talk about Movies and Watching TV: